4.25.2008

Chris Cowan on Low Expectations for Men

After writing my short post yesterday about how young people, especially males, consistently dodge responsibility, I came across a thought-provoking article. Chris Cowan, a wonderful man of God and co-laborer in the gospel over at the Gender Blog, wrote a wonderful article about young men and their God-given need to provide physically and spiritually for their families.

After describing the problem, Cowan gives the following solution:

This phenomenon reported by WSJ is simply a further symptom of a culture filled with men who have no idea what it means to be a man. And, unfortunately, the church has not remained unaffected. Christians must respond to this crisis of manhood by exhorting our young men to be men. We must be intentional in raising our boys to be providers—to accept primary responsibility to support a wife and family. I do not need to know (now) what specific vocation my six-year old son will follow when he grows up. What I do need to know (now) is that I'm raising a future provider, so that he may nourish and care for others who will depend on him.

May the church not merely decry the manhood crisis; may we confront it by bringing up godly, noble men. As we do, let us continually point our young men to the one whom they are to model, Jesus Christ: a divine Husband who sacrificially provides for his bride (Eph 5:25-27). And let us be eternally thankful that he expects no "payback" from her.


Read the whole article here.

No comments: